Sunday 23 May 2010

A HISTORY OF FASHION: 1800s

Hola,
I am going through an 19th century fashion phase and though you might like to know. Just scroll down....
1810s
So this is the stuff from the 1810s and in case you are already bored, might I add that the more interesting stuff comes in the later decades. For those of you who have read or seed 'Emma' by Jane Austen, you will probably remember seeing these kind of dresses. In my opinion they are not nearly over-the-top enough. They are just empire-waisted bags. But I guess that all the drama lies in those wicked cool hats. Damn, I was born in the wrong century.

1820sNow skirts started to grow more voluminous (finally), with added ruffles, poufs and draping. The feminine shape was exaggerated with sneakily cantilevered corsets and bodices became more fitted to show off curves. Also, although the classic bonnet shape was still popular, newer, more elaborate hats began to take their place. With more people traveling, hats took on a turban shape borrowed from the Middle-East and were often adorned with feathers and shimmering brooches. And now, I'm not copy-and-pasting from Wikipedia. I just read actual books. Wide-brimmed, floppy hats were also popular.

1830sAh, so this is where it gets more interesting. We are getting huge skirts and sleeves held up with vast wire contraptions hidden under the yards of petticoats and silk, and also ginormous hats. There's nothing much else to say.

Well, I have to go now... so I will continue this post at a later date. Also I have a dinner party to host.

EVC

No comments:

Post a Comment