Friday 25 February 2011

I am in the Capital of Cool

BERLIN, Germany. Believe it. This is where I grew up, ergo I could probably spend the rest of my life trawling junk stores near Zionskirchplatz or gazing down at the world from the Fernsehturm. Its like a dinky, cozy little version of New York. But just as awesome.
(Fernsehturm = TV Tower. Zionskirchplatz = Zion (?) Church Square. Meh.)
Anyhoo, I'll probably be documenting my short but sweet visit here with a great number of photographs. And if you haven't already, you should really visit us here in Berlin. It's like the world according to Nylon magazine.
So, consequently, I am going to indulge in the very Berlin looks that graced the Fendi runway aw11.

However, I'm probably gonna keep it real concise. I'm on a laptop from 2005 over here, meaning that this is going to take a while to put together. Mais c'est la vie.


I read in the article on style.com (courtesy of) that here an 'art teacher' vibe was being channeled. Well, not to be rude, but I have never encountered so chic an art teacher. I have a bit of a prejudice against them, I admit, for reasons unrelated. Anyway, the reason this is so very Berlin -- which, like I said, is pretty much as anti-mainstream as a metropolis comes -- lies mainly in the say that tactile and interesting materials are favoured over eye-popping prints. I do have a penchant for interesting prints, such as the spiders on a particular dress by Giles from a few seasons ago, but kudos here for the wicked cool pleather dress. I'm less of a fan of the felt ruff (too fussy for my taste) but I can see how an art teacher would definitely go for that kind of thing.
The fur shrugs were also in the tactile vein. But like many I am inclined to boo fur unless its faux.




This blue wonder was almost Jil Sander-esque in its simplicity, obvious expert craftsmanship and effortless chic. In fact, the quality is the only obvious thing about it, which I admire in a cluttered sartorial world of gaudiness and where Gaga is considered occasionally to be the acme of stylistic evolution. I'm not dissing Gaga -- no way -- but I needed a breather.




This last piece is my favourite. Its cold out here in the home of Awesomeness.

E

No comments:

Post a Comment